Friday, May 29, 2009

Fresh, Local Food Fridays!

Locavore (someone who eats food grown or produced locally or within a certain radius such as 50, 100, or 150 miles) was the 2007 Oxford American Dictionary's word of the year. Turns out, it's pretty to be a locavore in The Cleve., which was ranked the #2 city in the country by Sustainlane for our local agriculture. It's even easier when that food is delivered to you while you work! My fabulous colleague Emily has partnered with Fresh Fork Market, a start-up that has up until now, been supplying restaurants with fresh, local produce for their menu. Now, they have expanded their services to Dealer Tire, complete with an online ordering system that opens a whole world of heirloom produce, bread, cheese and fresh pasta... all from within 75 miles of where I live... and I never have to go anywhere! Order before midnight on Wednesday through the website, and the food is delivered to work by 3 on Friday. I got my first delivery last Friday, and it looked fabulous. When I got it home, I filled my kitchen sink with cold water and rinsed all of the produce so it was ready for whatever I decided to make!

- Heriloom Black seeded simpson lettuce (great in salad)
- Organic spinach (used for quiche)
- Red bulb green onions (used for quiche #1)
- Rappini (meh, was expecting more broccolini, not all leaves)
- Organic sourdough 12 grain and seed bread (realllly good)
- Organic rustic Italian bread
- 1/4 peck of Melrose (the Ohio) apple (sweet without the grit)
- Tiny little strawberries (I've never seen cuter strawberries)
- Fresh spinach pasta (fresh pasta is totally different than dry)
- 12 pasture raised/antibiotic free eggs (outstanding)

Sunny side eggs over a fresh piece of toast, doesn't get much better than that... I also made 2 quiches with all the eggs I had.. First was OK, but the second was outstanding! Thanks to Rob's caramelizing skills, my use of a less gritty flour (this time I used a brown rice flour) and full-fat Feta (as opposed to the reduced fat I used in the first), it really turned out well... Time to get rid of that 'Domestically Disabled' mug an old friend gave me...



0 comments: