Saturday, June 27, 2009

Marathon Update - Im a Marathon Relay champ!

26.2 miles this year is looking less and less likely to happen... at least all by myself. My major goal with training was to get my butt outside and in shape again... it is after all wedding/swimsuit season. But summer also means many many fun distractions. I did however reach over 100 miles training recently! (see the ticker at the bottom of my page) I'd be happy with 200 training miles this summer.

While I did get a 12 mile run in a few weeks ago, I'm quite happy with my decision do the Annual Akron Marathon Team Relay, a new event this year. Some coworkers and friends of mine will each run one of five legs, mine being the last and longest at 7.6 miles. If all goes well on 9/26 at the team relay, I'm hoping to do the Towpath 1/2 Marathon at 13.2 miles on 10/11. I'll also be participating in the 'Cleveland Corporate Challenge' 10K relay being held August 1st. (It's only a mile, but good chance to see just how fast I can run it!)

The Cleve, especially where I live, offers some outstanding places to get your miles in. Yesterday I met a friend downtown and took a Lake route around Browns Stadium, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Science Center. I often run at Edgewater Park, right on the lake. It offers amazing breezes and views of Lake Erie and downtown. Cleveland's "Emerald Necklace" (metroparks), particularly Rocky River Reservation is great for longer runs.

(pics are the Rock Hall etc. from the GoodTime III and Edgewater Park at sunrise.)




2 comments:

Dave Kalina said...

Booooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Meghan said...

hahaha. If I am correct Dave, you started training b/c your wife mentioned a few of us were trying to run a marathon.... So you can thank me when you triumphantly finish that full Akron Marathon in SPT! Then we will all go have a beer :) Maybe even at the 'Hippy' vegan restaurant owned by Rock Star Chrissie Hynde... http://www.thevegiterranean.com/ It really is very good. Even Nate liked it.